Custom Kitchen Island Design
Islands can add style, efficiency, and storage to any kitchen. Custom kitchen islands offer a number of benefits, from aesthetic appeal to extra storage space to design flexibility! Want a thin, two-tiered island? Interested in a round island with recycled material countertops? The sky is the limit!
If you’re looking for custom kitchen islands in the Maryland, DC, and VA area, trust the design team at Jack Rosen Custom Kitchens to install beautiful customized kitchen islands in your home. Contact us online or give us a call at 301-363-4064 to get started on your kitchen remodeling project today!
Benefits of Custom Kitchen Islands
Here are the top benefits of kitchen islands along with some design ideas to spark your creativity:
- Additional storage: Whether it’s more drawers, pull-out shelves, or cabinets, islands provide much-needed storage for your kitchen.
- Extra seating: Having guests over for dinner can result in a cramped kitchen table unless you have an island with additional seating.
- Room for extra amenities: Preparation sinks, refrigerated drawers, extra counter space, and another cooking surface are all possible with custom kitchen islands.
- Kid-friendly area: Whether kids do their homework sitting at the island or pitch in with dinner, this area can help them feel close to you as you work in the kitchen.
Custom Kitchen Island Design Ideas
- L-shaped island: An L-shaped kitchen may call for an L-shaped island. Then again, a spacious kitchen can use an L-shaped island as a preparation area on one side and delineated seating on the other. A built-in bench and a table pulled up to the inside of the L makes for a unique breakfast nook in the heart of the kitchen.
- Oval-shaped island: Oval or round kitchen islands not only provide a unique look but are also great if you have children. There are no sharp corners to bump into, making it ideal if you want a kid-friendly kitchen design.
- U-shaped island: Rather than being in the center of the kitchen, a U-shaped island may separate an open kitchen floor plan from the next room. With a raised level on one side, the U-shaped island can serve as a spacious bar while the standard countertop height on the kitchen side can serve as a food prep area with additional storage beneath.
- T-shaped island: The top of the T can feature everything a standard kitchen island does. With an added surface jutting from the center of the island to create a T-shape, you have a convenient serving area or makeshift seating for casual dining or extra guests.
- Mobile island: A moveable workspace with a butcher-block top is versatile and perfect for small kitchens. Use the island for extra counter space or as a food prep area, a bar, or even a buffet table. Drawers and shelving below, or even full cabinetry storage, increase the functionality of mobile custom kitchen islands.
- Slim island: If you have a relatively narrow space to work with, choose a narrow kitchen island. On one end, there can be an overhang for one- or two-person seating. In the middle, utilize the island as a prep surface and for under-counter storage.
Two-tiered islands are also popular. They not only create extra space (for helping the kids with homework, socializing, etc.), but also can enhance the room and add more visual interest.
These are just a few custom island ideas that could enhance the appearance and functionality of your kitchen.
To learn more about turning your MD, DC, or VA dream kitchen design into a reality, contact Jack Rosen online today or give our design team a call at 301-363-4064!
Tell Us About Your Project Ideas
Check Out Our Showroom in Rockville, MD
Address12223 Nebel Street
Showroom HoursMon. – Fri.9am – 6pm
Saturday10am – 4pm
Thinking of remodeling your home? We have a collection of FREE downloads to help you choose the best options for YOUR home.Download Now