Should You Install Stainless Steel Cabinets?
When people think about stainless steel cabinets, they generally think that they are either sleek and contemporary or cold and industrial. There are numerous benefits to installing stainless steel cabinets in your kitchen, even for the people who don’t like the feeling they provide. Fortunately, there are ways you can incorporate stainless steel cabinets into any kitchen design for a warm, traditional feel with modern sensibilities.
Benefits of Installing Stainless Steel Cabinets
- Stainless steel cabinets are durable – Unlike wood, stainless steel cabinets will never warp, discolor or corrode. Aside from the slight possibility of denting, you almost never have to worry about damage to your stainless steel cabinets.
- Stainless steel cabinets never need refacing – Since they don’t require painting, stainless steel cabinets will never need any sort of color maintenance.
- Stainless steel cabinets never experience wet warp – Stainless steel cabinets never warp due to moisture – any water or moisture on them can be easily wiped off.
Things to Consider When Installing Stainless Steel Cabinets
Stainless steel cabinets behave differently than wood cabinets after they are installed. When purchasing and installing kitchen cabinets, there a few things you should keep in mind:
- Make sure they open and close securely – Listen for a solid click when your stainless steel kitchen cabinets close. Otherwise, there is a chance that they could swing open.
- Make sure your stainless steel cabinets are rustproof – Stainless steel cabinets are very durable, but there is always the risk of rusting. Make sure your stainless steel cabinets have been galvanized or treated to make them rust proof.
- Check the construction on your stainless steel cabinets – Stainless steel cabinets are usually cut by a laser and professionally welded. Even so, check your cabinets when they are finished to make sure that everything is square and that there are no sharp edges on corners. Finally, make sure that there are no screws or other hardware sticking out of your finished cabinets.
Stainless Steel Cabinet Design Ideas
If you want to add the sleek modern style of stainless steel cabinets to your kitchen, but don’t want to be overwhelmed with the industrial feel of them, there are a number of different design styles that you can add stainless steel to.
- Wood and Stainless Steel Cabinets – Hang stainless steel doors on cherry, oak or walnut cabinetry to create an attractive contrast. Use either plain stainless steel doors or choose doors with a style, such as a diamond or checkered pattern, pressed or brushed in. This theme can be used for hanging cabinets as well as cabinets below the counters.
- Glass and Stainless Steel Cabinets– Frosted glass inlets can be used to soften the look of stainless steel cabinets. Frosted glass inlets can be plain or can come in a variety of styles, from floral and leaf patterns to more modern graphic designs. Use glass and stainless steel cabinets for your upper cabinets and balance the look with plain wooden cabinets on lower cabinets. For an uncluttered, contemporary look, use touch to open latches on all cabinet doors.
- Colorful Hardware on Stainless Steel Cabinets – Liven up your stainless steel cabinets with colorful handles, pulls and other hardware. Use splashes of reds, greens, yellows and oranges to break up the expanse of stainless steel. Either decorate all of your drawers and cabinets using a single color of hardware or use a different color for every piece –the choice is yours.
- Stainless Steel with a Color Contrast – Install stainless steel cabinets with a frosted glass insert, then paint the walls and interior back walls of your cabinets a bright color such as tomato red, lime green, banana yellow or orange. The frosted glass in the cabinets will soften the colors behind it, and the color will match the walls to provide a layered look.
For a contemporary kitchen style, nothing beats stainless steel cabinets. However, they can also be infused into many other designs to create a variety of totally unique looks. If you like the idea of stainless steel kitchen cabinets and want more stainless steel ideas, visit the Jack Rosen Custom Kitchens showroom in Rockville, MD and talk to one of our expert designers. We can show you how to add stainless steel to your Maryland, Virginia or Washington, DC kitchen to create a look that’s all your own.
Tell Us About Your Project Ideas
Check Out Our Showroom in Rockville, MD
Address12223 Nebel Street
Showroom HoursMon. – Fri.9am – 6pm
Saturday10am – 4pm
Thinking of remodeling your home? We have a collection of FREE downloads to help you choose the best options for YOUR home.Download Now