Is a Kitchen Island or Peninsula Better?
Kitchen islands are ideal for homeowners with large kitchens who want additional workspace, social space, or storage space. Peninsulas are better for homeowners with smaller kitchens that lack the floor space for a kitchen table, food prep countertop, or extra seating.
Here are the benefits of each kitchen element so you can decide which one is right for your home.
Advantages of Installing a Kitchen Island
If you have the square footage necessary for a kitchen island, you and your family will likely love having one. With a kitchen island, you’ll instantly gain:
- More storage space: Your new kitchen island can be outfitted with open shelves or cabinets to store glassware or dishes, beautiful trinkets and décor elements, and some minor appliances.
- Extra counter space: Spend more time with your favorite people by setting up countertop space on the kitchen island to do homework, meal prep, or sip a beverage.
- Entertainment space: A kitchen island is a natural gathering spot for guests to linger and chat without feeling like they’re in the way of food preparation.
- A modern kitchen design layout: Kitchen islands are popular among homebuyers, so adding one to your kitchen remodel will likely make your home more desirable if you sell.
Pros of Adding a Kitchen Peninsula
Kitchen peninsulas offer many benefits, especially when they’re installed in galley-style or historical kitchens. These benefits include:
- A perfect fit for small spaces: Adding a peninsula to a small kitchen is one of the best ways to add usable space with minimal square footage.
- Easy plumbing and electrical connections: With a peninsula, you’ll find it easier to connect sinks, ovens, wine fridges, and essential kitchen appliances through the walls or cabinetry.
- Continuous countertops: Peninsulas can blend better with original kitchen designs, especially when you replace your countertops with a seamless material like quartz.
- More efficient layout possibilities: Peninsulas instantly create one of the most desirable kitchen design layouts for small homes — the “u-shaped” kitchen.
- Tucked-away seating options: Peninsulas help you add seating in a way that doesn’t take up much space.
Why Choose Jack Rosen Custom Kitchens?
If the visions you have of your dream kitchen include a kitchen island or peninsula, contact our award-winning design professionals at Jack Rosen Custom Kitchens.
Our team has helped homeowners in Maryland, DC, and northern Virginia create beautiful and functional kitchens for over 30 years. We specialize in providing custom cabinetry that precisely fits your needs and can be enjoyed by you and your family for years to come.
Schedule a free kitchen design consultation today when you call 301-363-4064.
Tell Us About Your Project Ideas
Check Out Our Showroom in Rockville, MD
Address12223 Nebel Street
Showroom HoursMon. – Fri.9am – 6pm
Saturday10am – 4pm
Thinking of remodeling your home? We have a collection of FREE downloads to help you choose the best options for YOUR home.Download Now