Wood Cabinet Care
Do you have wood cabinets? Are you taking proper care of them? With the right maintenance and cleaning, your cabinetry can look great for a long time—and it doesn’t take all that much work!
In general, try to visit the cabinet manufacturer’s website for the right care and cleaning for the specific products they make, but in general, there are certain wood cabinet care and maintenance tips to keep in mind:
- Don’t limit cleaning to every few months or so—a lot of dust and grease can build up. It’s a good idea to lightly clean every week or two weeks.
- Use a damp cloth, mild soap and warm water, and then rinse with clean water.
- Make sure the cloth is damp, not overly wet, to prevent excess water from accumulating in the corners.
- Completely dry off the cabinet using a soft towel—try not to let any water sit on the surface.
- Avoid paper towels and sponges, as well as:
- Abrasive cleaning solutions
- Powdered cleaners
- Strong detergents
- Oils or oil soaps
Silicone polishes can damage the cabinet’s finish and wax polishes can lead to wax film buildup.
- Keep in mind that using cleaners that are not recommended by the manufacturer of your cabinetry can result in voiding the warranty.
- If more cleaning is needed to safely remove kitchen grease, stubborn stains, cooking oils, etc., see what the cabinet manufacturer recommends (Rutt recommends Guardsman® Cabinet Polish and Guardsman® Cabinet Cleaner).
- You can use a mild detergent for everyday cleaning of cabinetry with an acrylic finish.
Need New Cabinets?
If you need new cabinetry—or you want a whole new kitchen design, including new cabinets—Jack Rosen can help. For more than 30 years, we’ve helped homeowners throughout Maryland, Washington, DC, and Northern Virginia with their kitchen design and cabinetry needs. Contact us to learn more about our services or feel free to stop by our showroom in Rockville!
Tell Us About Your Project Ideas
Check Out Our Showroom in Rockville, MD
Address12223 Nebel Street
Showroom HoursMon. – Fri.9am – 6pm
Saturday10am – 4pm
Thinking of remodeling your home? We have a collection of FREE downloads to help you choose the best options for YOUR home.Download Now