Townhouse Kitchen Design Tips
If you live in a townhouse and want a new design for your kitchen, don’t feel discouraged by the size.
If you constantly feel cramped in your kitchen, it may not have to do with the size of the space in general. A small kitchen does not equal an inefficient kitchen! With the right design, small kitchens can be efficient and storage-savvy.
Townhouse/Row House Design Tips
When it comes to row house/townhouse kitchen design, keep the following tips in mind:
- Use lighter color schemes (and natural light) to help your kitchen appear larger and more spacious
- Increase vertical space/build up rather than out
- Make sure movement and traffic flow will be unobstructed
Small Kitchen Remodeling Ideas
You should consider the general design tips above if you have a small kitchen, but if you’re looking for some inspiration before you talk to the professionals, here are some specific ideas great for kitchens in townhouses, row houses, and other small spaces:
Using Color Schemes
- Use light colors for the walls (white, cream, pale yellow, etc.)
- Install large windows and/or skylights
- Try to balance (if you like your dark walls and dark floors, contrast with lighter cabinets and features like wall trim, curtains, decorative pieces, etc.)
Increasing Vertical Space
- Hanging pot and pan racks
- Tall cabinets
- Wall mounted racks for spices, knives, etc.
- Top-bottom fridges and freezers (rather than side-by-side models)
Easing Movement & Traffic Flow
- Open floor plans
- Work triangle (every kitchen design should include this, not just townhouse kitchen designs!)
- Islands ( if space permits, kitchen islands, or even peninsulas, can be used in work triangles and are a great way to add second sinks, ovens, etc.)
Need a Custom Kitchen Designer?
If you live in Maryland, Washington, DC, or Virginia and are looking for a kitchen design company, we can help. Jack Rosen Custom Kitchens has won numerous awards and can help you come up with right kitchen design for your townhouse or row house. Contact us or stop by our Rockville, MD showroom today!
Tell Us About Your Project Ideas
Check Out Our Showroom in Rockville, MD
Address12223 Nebel Street
Showroom HoursMon. – Fri.9am – 6pm
Saturday10am – 4pm
Thinking of remodeling your home? We have a collection of FREE downloads to help you choose the best options for YOUR home.Download Now